It’s Time for Back-to-School Marketing
I know. It’s only July 7th. But believe it or not, now is the time to start your back-to-school marketing. This season is one of the biggest for consumers and marketers alike, and you can get in on the action even if your business doesn’t directly have anything to do with school. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Think about your audience. If your business relates to kids in some way, you have an automatic in. But even if you’re a B2B brand, you can still use the start of the school year to your advantage. Adults had to endure school at some point, so playing up the nostalgia is a great way to shake things up and reach your target audience.
- Offer deals. Back-to-school marketing almost always goes hand-in-hand with special discounts. People are looking for good deals that will allow them to purchase everything they need for the new year. Develop incentives of some kind to engage your consumers.
- Come up with a message that extends beyond the first day of school. While it’s great to come up with something that’s perfectly applicable to the first week in September, you’re ultimately trying to develop brand loyalty that will continue for years to come. Think of ways to strengthen that connection and convey the benefits of a continued relationship.
- Don’t forget about cause marketing. This is one of the best ways that you can approach back-to-school marketing. Pick an organization with a mission that relates to education in some way (anti-bullying, food backpack programs, literacy, etc.) and become a fundraising partner. Not only will you be promoting your brand, you’ll be contributing to a very worthy cause.
- Infuse your brand’s personality into your marketing. Because school is a common experience, back-to-school marketing lends itself well to both humor and emotion. Tickle people’s funny bones or tug at their heartstrings by getting creative with your message.